Monday, December 31, 2012

Featured: 2012 End of Year Book Survey

Best In Books 2012

1. Best Book You Read In 2012
Best Book(s) of 2012
Tiger’s Destiny by Colleen Houck and Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Best Debut
Skinny by Donna Cooner
Best Sequel(s)
Arise by Tara Hudson
Best Historical Fiction
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Best Dystopian
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Best Paranormal
Tiger’s Destiny by Colleen Houck
Best Contemporary
A Midsummer Tights Dream by Louise Rennison
2. Book you were Excited about & Thought you were going to Love more but didn’t?
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson. I just wasn’t feeling this one.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Bad Girls Don’t Die by Katie Alender. I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would (and it’s now become one of my favorite series. I’m so sad it’s over now, though).

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the Tiger’s Curse series by Colleen Houck.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
(For the record, these are authors new to me, not necessarily new to the world) Jennifer L. Armentrout, Susan Kaye Quinn, Ransom Riggs, Tara Hudson, Kendare Blake, Colleen Houck, Julia Kagawa, Louise Rennison, and many more.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort
zone or was a new genre for you?
Contemporary is a new genre for me that I used to not be very fond of. Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti was what really started my enjoyment for it, though.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
As Dead as it Gets by Katie Alender.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are
Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
The Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Tiger’s Destiny by Colleen Houck.
Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter.
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. It has that spooky and enticing feel to it.


11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Daemon from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Because, seriously, he’s… he’s Daemon.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Hmm. Probably Tiger’s Destiny, Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, and As Dead as it Gets by Katie Alender.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Skinny by Donna Cooner.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited
UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From
A Book You Read In 2012?
 There’s actually a few (couldn’t choose):
“I'll love you until the day after forever.” Beautiful Chaos


“I finally found him sitting on his balcony. He was leaning back against the wall with his eyes closed. Soft music played, and a cool ocean breeze blew back my hair as I stepped on to the balcony and inhaled the scent of the sea.

"May I join you?" I asked softly.
He didn’t bother opening his eyes. "If you like."
The moon in the dark sky looked like a giant white plate dipping its edge into the ocean. We sat quietly for a while. I closed my eyes too and listened to him hum along in harmony with the music.
"You haven’t played your guitar in a long time. I miss it," I said when the song was finished.
Ren turned away. "I fear there is no music left in me.” –Tiger’s Destiny

“What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful.” –Uglies

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Shortest
The Face on the Milk Carton by
Caroline B. Cooney
Longest
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You
Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
(a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a
steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The steamy kiss in Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Actually, kisses. There were a lot of epic revelations, steamy kisses, and WTF moments to fill that book. Also, in Tiger’s Destiny when someone died (SOMEONE). There were so many great books, it’s hard to choose which scenes!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book
You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Daemon and Katy from the Lux series, Cas and Anna from Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, and Hayden and Ember from Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout (as you can tell, I’m obsessed with this amazing author).
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012
From An Author You Read Previously
Tiger’s Destiny by Colleen Houck.
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based
SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
Frozen's Blog, obviously.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
My favorite review I wrote is probably Confessions of An Angry Girl, because I was really able to describe my emotions on the story.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I don't have discussion posts on my blog yet.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion
you read on somebody else’s blog?
Frozen (AKA Wild Heart Books) has some amazing reviews. Here’s one I really enjoyed, on Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout.

5. Best event that you participated in
(author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Unfortunately, I have been too busy this year to participate in any author signings, but I do have some virtual author signings, from Susan Kaye Quinn and Lacey Weatherford. There was a book fair at Barnes & Noble I attended, however, that was quite fun.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
When any of my friends (or anyone, really) cares enough to check out my blog and possibly comment. J

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog
(whether it be by comments or views)?
The most popular post this year on my blog definitely has to be my post on Jennifer L. Armentrout. It has around 41 views so far, but this is the most views I’ve gotten on one post.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Any or all of my reviews that have zero comments.

9. Best bookish discovery (book related
sites, book stores, etc.)?
There are two book-relate sites I’ve really grown to love. The Reading Fever and Vampire Book Club are just two of them, but definitely check them out!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
This is my first year participating, but I did complete the goal for this year.

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012
But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
The Diviners by Libba Bray.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
 The fifth and final book in the Gallagher Girl series (which is currently untitled).
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish
Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Fix up my blog a bit (even though I’m not that great at that type of thing) and get to reviewing and discovering more great books!

No comments:

Post a Comment