Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

Description: What happens when happily ever after... isn’t?

Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.




Language: Mild
Violence: Mild
Sexual: Mild

   In Between the Lines, you will read two different stories scattered around in the book: the beginning of the book has the start of the story-in-the-story, which continues on between the POVs of Delilah and Oliver. The characters are very relatable to me, which is something I really like about it, and the overall story is extremely unique. The pacing was nice and not too fast, but not too slow, either.
   After finishing this book, I felt so many different emotions; they weren’t of irritation or annoyance for the story, and it wasn’t even sadness that the book itself had ended, but it was happiness that the characters in the story got what they wanted and lived happily ever after.
   This was the perfect book to get me out of my reading slump, and I’m certainly not sorry I picked this one up. In fact, even though I know this is real life and not some fairy tale, my thoughts for everyone having a happy ending are a little higher than before. And everyone deserves a happily ever after, right?

Cover: I like the cover because it is pretty simple and is relatable to the story.

Setting: The story takes place with the beginning of the story-in-the story, afterwards including Oliver being tired of the same old story played out constantly whenever the book was opened, and Delilah wishing she lived in a fairy tale, where everything was better than her life, or she could meet Oliver in real life.

Characters:
-I have to say, Oliver is my favorite character in this story (surprise, surprise). He’s charming, but has enough faults that he doesn’t bore the readers. He is almost the complete opposite of his role in Between the Lines, the fairy tale where he has the lead role and has to win his courage by rescuing the fair maiden, Seraphima. The way Oliver adores Delilah and pushes aside her faults to see her true beauty was something I liked, and how he was very chivalrous and is much like a prince charming.
-Delilah is another one of my favorite characters, because she is so relatable and interesting. So she likes reading fairy tales better than socializing and trying to be cool, so what? I don’t really understand why her mother is so against her reading fairy tales, because in my opinion, you’re never too old for fairy tales!
-Frump was another character I enjoyed reading about, although he wasn’t necessarily the lead role in this novel.
-Seraphima was the most bubble-head princess I have ever read about, and is Oliver’s true love in the story-in-the-story in which he has to rescue from the villain—damsel in distress, as you could call her. She practically throws herself at Oliver any chance she can get.

Storyline: I love the storyline! It’s very unique. I’ve never thought of the plot of a character being sick of constantly reliving their role in the story and having their own lives and personalities when the book is closed, or wanting to escape their repetitive story. Very interesting and the overall story is a cute one.

Writing: The writing style is fairly simple, nothing elaborate, but strangely addicting. I adore the descriptions of the castle and land in which the story-in-the-story takes place, and the way Delilah and Oliver speak in their POVs is relatable and interesting.

Surprises: There were a few surprises in Between the Lines, but the main surprise is how much I found I enjoyed this book!

Overall: 5 stars. Between the Lines is officially one of my favorite books, and one that I will definitely read again sometime in the near future. My only complaint is that I wish I read more about Oliver and Delilah’s love story, but then again, I love thinking of how their story may end and contemplating this whole novel myself.

Recommended: This book is absolutely recommended! However, it may suit better with the younger teen crowd, rather than the older. This is a cute, clean fairy tale that will leave you thinking long after you’ve completed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment