Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

    First of all, you may have noticed I changed the set-up for my reviews. If not, well, that’s perfectly fine.
    Now to the review!



Description: There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword and Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret... even if it kills her. Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


Violence: Moderate
Sexual: Mild
Language: Mild

Fallen is a book I will not soon forget, but it’s not one I would necessarily read again extremely soon. I will warn you, though, that many slow parts may tempt you to skip ahead in the book, but don’t. It’ll just make you more confused than you already started. Plus, you would miss a great story! I started this book with no expectations whatsoever, after reading some mixed reviews that left me uncertain, but I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised! Fallen left me with more perplexing questions that I began with and can’t wait to find out.

Cover: I love the cover! It’s so gothic and pretty.

Setting: Something I really enjoyed was the boarding school setting of Sword and Cross, with the descriptions of how everything was; the old feeling to the building and how it used to be a church made it more interesting, with the gravestones and the ancient statues that could just crumble down any moment.

Characters: One of my favorite characters died in the end. I’m not saying who, because I don’t want any spoilers, but in my opinion she was the most interesting of them all. And she died. Need I express this more?
Other than her, my other favorite character has to be Daniel—obviously. He’s an angel, although a fallen one, and has undying love for Lucinda! Of course I love him.
   I thought Lucinda was a little relatable at times, but, yeah, she was, like she said, a little bit of a stalker also, and could be a kind of damsel-in-distress sort of girl. But I love her friend Arriane! She’s so sarcastic and rebellious and interesting. Who doesn’t want a punk character in a story?

Storyline: More often than not, this story will have you asking more unanswered quarries than you ever thought possible for a book of this genre. The story begins with Luce (also known as Lucinda) arriving at the school, taking in her surroundings, meeting new people, including Arriane and, of course, spotting Daniel from afar.

Writing: Although Lauren Kate’s writing style isn’t the most elaborate, it is sure addicting to read! The only way I can think to describe it is simple, but the thickening plot makes up for this. Make sure you know before starting, this is not a light or quick read! The story can be rather slow at times, but it builds anticipation and suspense along the way, and it lets us readers get to know the real Luce, her friends, and especially Daniel. (Yes, you may have noticed, I really like Daniel.)

Surprises: At times there are admittedly parts in the story where it was a bit predictable, and times where I was a little annoyed that Luce hadn’t seen some things coming, but there were a few surprises here and there. Cam, for example: I knew there was something a little weird about him and how his attitude had begun to slowly change throughout story, but I didn’t know that “something a little weird about him” could be this big. Also, with Miss Sophia: What a jaw-dropping moment!

Overall: 4.5 stars. I love the romance and the suspense with a bit of dark mystery mixed in. The characters are likeable and unique, those of whom I can’t wait to continue reading about. Plus, I need to know what’s going to happen next!

Recommended: I would recommend this book for anyone who loves an interesting love story, fallen angels, and/or doesn’t mind taking their time with this one.

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 464 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (December 8, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0385738935
  • ISBN-13: 978-0385738934

No comments:

Post a Comment