Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: Passion by Lauren Kate




Description: Luce would die for Daniel.

And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn't need to be that way....

Luce is certain that something - or someone - in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of thislifetime...going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel...and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history. Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames...forever.

Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series.



Language: Mild
Violence: Mild
Sexual: Moderate

   It seems I’ve grown accustom to reliving the failures this series has fallen to (pun not intended—okay, it kind of was). But maybe that’s just because I have a love/hate relationship with it.
   I cannot stress how boring this book was. The same things happened: Luce finding her old self, staying in her past for a few minutes and watching her past-self kiss the past Daniel, and then leave off to another past, while Daniel is chasing after her and missing her a split second too late. Why? He should be extremely fast and teleport or whatever. He is an angel, isn’t he?
   Some things were also pretty confusing. When Bill was introduced, I felt he was unimportant and weird. Yeah, he was interesting, but it never explained how exactly he could change into whatever or whoever he so pleased until the very end. And even the explanation seemed as if Lauren Kate only just thought of it at that same time we did! I know we’re the readers and all, but I hate being perplexed through the entire book, even if Luce is confused as well. Luce is pretty stupid without many emotions—why don’t we know more than she does?
   I felt this book was very unnecessary and was only a type of filler for the last book in the series, much like the second book. I was hoping this book would resurface my love for the series and make my happiness in it soar through the sky, but unfortunately, it did the complete opposite I was expecting—no, hoping for.
   After my past two negative reviews I didn’t enjoy giving you guys, you’re probably wondering why I’m going to continue on reading the next book in the series. It’s because I still liked the first book and I want to see how the story ends, and whether it gets less boring and more interesting very fast. But, Lauren Kate, I want some things explained to me! I don’t like living in the dark!
   I probably won’t reread this book ever again. Sorry, but I just can’t put myself through it. But if you like this series and would like to continue it, don’t let this review stop you!

Cover: I didn’t like this cover as much, because it looks a bit cartoony. But it’s still pretty, in my opinion.

Setting: Time-travel seems to be the main thing in this book, using shadows to transport them into another world. Luce pretty much travels everywhere in her past, meeting her own self—excuse me, selves—and past Daniels.

Characters: Daniel Grigori very lost and a bit lonely, and wouldn’t let anybody else help him, which annoyed me quite a bit. If he can’t find the girl on his own, why won’t he let anybody help him?
-Luce was consistent with her new time-travel abilities. Basically she did the same exact thing from Chapter One to the end, with nothing very interesting happening.
-Cam was hardly in the book. This was fairly irritating! He was the most unique of all the characters in Passion.
-Arriane was hardly in this one as well. Another favorite character is gone to the wind.
-The characters thoroughly acted as puppets lead only by a string, very emotionless with less unique things about them in the previous books. At least in the others they had a bit of depth. In this one, there’s none at all.

Storyline: The storyline lacked many things. It had too much detail in some parts and not enough in others. I wasn’t pleased at all with the storyline, as I felt it was repetitive and dull.

Writing: One word: repetitive. Not only was this book extremely slow-paced, but it was also boring with its same reoccurrences and very choppy. I’m pretty sad about the fact that things weren’t interesting and the story didn’t exactly pull me into it as much as the first book.

Surprises: Nothing was especially surprising to me. This one was pretty dull, except the part where Bill had a secret identity I didn’t expect.

Overall: 3 stars. I would give it 2.5 stars, but as I’ve grown to somewhat appreciate the simple things about this series I’ve decided to be a bit kind to this book. I could be much more brutal than I already am about the past few books. Even though the first book was awesome, the series seemed to only go down the cliff from there. And unfortunately for these books, they don’t have wings to catch their fall.

Recommended: I would recommend this book for anyone who loves a unique love story, fallen angels, and/or doesn’t mind taking their time with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment