Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron


Description: This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?
Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey’s search for his new life’s meaning leads him into the loving arms of 8-year-old Ethan. During their countless adventures Bailey joyously discovers how to be a good dog.
But this life as a beloved family pet is not the end of Bailey’s journey. Reborn as a puppy yet again, Bailey wonders—will he ever find his purpose?

Language: Mild (hardly any)
Violence: Moderate
Sexual: Mild (From the dog’s view, it says that he sees a couple “wrestling” on the couch and thinks nothing of it, but the dog falls asleep after mentioning that. Also, it says something about a “new game” that the dog discovered, which he soon lost interest in after being fixed)

There is a reason this novel was on the top list of 2o1o on GoodReads! I just cannot get enough of this story, with its interesting and fresh premise and lovable dog as the narrator.

The reason I picked up this book was because I was hoping this would make me smile. You see, I find it difficult these days, with stress and drama, to find a reason to smile, especially since fairly recently one of my best friends, who had been with me since I was a baby, died (my dearest dog). I was also hoping I would get some closure. But this book did so much more than make me smile; it made me laugh, grin even, and feel close to tears a few times. People were right to say that this is a story you will not forget.

Never once have I had mixed feelings about this novel: it was all love for it. Considering I’ve never read a book with the dog as the heroine, I wasn’t exactly certain what to expect. It was a little out of my comfort zone, but I am so relieved I took the plunge and dove right into this incredible story. Although it is quite short (at roughly three hundred and twenty pages), you will fly through the pages, and I am not sure whether it is the story itself or the amusing writing style that makes it so addicting. It did not take me long at all to complete this novel.

Whether you are quite familiar with Mr. Cameron’s works or you just love dogs, I can guarantee that this will move you and leave you with a comforting and settling feeling.

Cover: I love the simplicity of it. Refreshing.

Setting: Whether it’s the Yard, the loving home, or anywhere else, this dog faces new excitement and troubles along the way.

Characters: The dog. I love that dog. The owners were unique as well.

Storyline: Several adventures from the eyes of a dog.

Writing: The loose and easy-going writing style purposely tells us that dogs truly are simple creatures.

Surprises: I was impressed that there were a few surprises in this novel.

Overall: 4.5 stars. This is definitely one of my favorite reads of 2013 so far, and I won’t hesitate to pick up the second book.

Recommended: I would recommend this book to all dog lovers out there, along with the loyal fans of this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment